Please Support Canon Filmmakers By Clicking The Banner To Order Any Gear You Want From B&H

Reel Inspiration: Take 6 with Jon Connor

1.09.2010


So this is the next installation of the Reel Inspiration series.I realized that I haven’t really said
much about who I am or what drives me.


My name is Jon Connor. I directed my first “film” in 7th Grade.
It was for a school project on Robin Hood.
Most kids wrote a report or made a diorama. Remember those things?
Screw Avatar and a $400 million budget.
A shoebox and an imagination was all you needed back then for 3-D.
When making this “film” I was on a very tight budget. I was 12.
 I had no money, a cheap handy cam, and no computer
capable of editing. I printed out all the titles and video taped them,
I edited it on my own version of A/B roll.
I plugged the camera into the VCR and used pause and record to
 cut out the crap as best I could.
We did have some epic special effects.
We lit the ends of arrows on fire and shot them into a house that was under construction,
 then cut to a close up of a house we built out of Popsicle sticks burning. Not sure why
 I thought my parents wouldn’t ask questions or be pissed about that, but I guess that
 was a good lesson to be learned. Anytime you try to get creative as a director
you have to answer to the “man”.
So that was it. I had the bug. Due to some setbacks like getting a “real job” when I was
14 as a busboy my career in this field went on hiatus.


In 1999, I enrolled in the Art Institute of Philadelphia for Video Production.
I learned a lot about a variety of topics: art, history of film, color theory, lighting,
 script writing, and worked my way up from their A/B roll suite to the Avid one.
 I shot 16mm film, Beta Max and DVC Pro. I saved up my money while working my
way through college and bought two 3 CCD Sony cameras with wide-angle lenses.
Someone broke into my dorm roomand stole them a week later. I was devastated.
I left college frustrated and disappointed. It seemed like everything I had
worked for was all for naught.
I bounced around for a while and worked a variety of odd jobs: I was a PECO electric meter reader,
 a used car salesman, a landscaper, a manager of a cell phone store, I worked in demolition
for awhile, I waited tables, tended bar,even shined shoes at a country club. Everything you can think
 of that has nothing to do with what I wanted to be.
Or so I thought.
I eventually moved back in with an old roommate from college and we started a video production company.
We shot social events mainly and a few low budget music videos. It paid the bills.
Fast forward to today. Literally. Today.
As I sat down and began writing this I really didn’t know what the point was but it just dawned on me.
All that stuff that I did, that isn’t what I wanted to be: a filmmaker and a storyteller. All of it.
Some of the lowest points of my life. It’s fuel. It’s material.
They are my stories. There are a million of them.
So when someone says, or you think, “What can I do that’s original? It’s all been done.”
No it hasn’t. No one knows my story or perhaps yours. They haven’t been told yet.
So I guess when we are lacking in inspiration,
maybe the best source is ourselves. It’s a largely untapped resource.
The best part about it is no one can ever say you copied, or imitated.

This is not a list of the greatest movies ever. I tried to pick a few you may not have seen that I thought were excellent at telling a story that piqued my interest and demanded my attention.

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels – This was Guy Ritchie’s directorial debut as far as I know.
He has been criticized since then by a lot of people who say all his movies look the same.
I don’t care about that. This movie is a perfect blend. Thisis storytelling how it’s supposed to be done.
The movie intertwines a castful of crazy characters and manages to keep building
tension and excitement throughout before it ends with a series of plot twists that I will not spoil here.
Just watch it. I thought the cinematography was excellent.
Editing spot on. Soundtrack was awesome.

Big Fish - Behind the grand visuals in this film there was an endearing tale. I liked the way
Tim Burton jumped back and forth from the past to present.
This film drew me in and kept my attention the entire time.
I also used to frequent a bar in West Chester, Pa. where the giant in this film was a
bouncer, before he passed away at way to young of an age. So I feel I have a personal
connection with this film as well.

Cool Hand Luke – This is a classic. Great use of symbolism. Growing up, Paul Newman was my hero, not because he made excellent salad dressing. Because I always saw him as “Cool Hand” Luke. I empathized with his character and to this day still root for him anytime I watch this film.

I guess I realized while writing this, that Content is King. You can have all the special effects in the world and I just am not that impressed. Tell an amazing story and you have me hooked.

You can follow me on twitter @jonconnorfilms


All photos courtesy of Gary Nevitt Jr.

2 comments:

Anonymous,  January 10, 2010 at 5:23 AM  

Have you still got your Robin Hood film? Can we see it?
J

Jon Connor January 10, 2010 at 10:10 AM  

I was thinking about that. My mom may have the only copy in existence in Florida. I'm going to see if she has it and if so I will most definitely post it. That would be hilarious. Good idea J.
Jon Connor

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a community effort to help further the ongoing education of professionals and hobbyists interested in shooting HD video with Canon's line of professional DSLR's. Namely the Canon 5D MarkII and the recently released Canon 7D. We will also feature work by users of these cameras to give them exposure and to create a place to be inspired by others. This is a friendly effort so if all you bring to the table is negativity kindly go somewhere else. For all suggestions for article topics or if you have an article or film you would like to have published here please send all info to jonjconnor@gmail.com or send me a tweet at @jonconnorfilms

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP