Please Support Canon Filmmakers By Clicking The Banner To Order Any Gear You Want From B&H

Reel Inspiration: Take 7 with Rob Imbs

3.04.2010

It's been awhile since the last installation of Reel Inspiration. So, I definitely wanted this one to be someone that has a REAL passion for filmmaking. Enter Rob Imbs, a filmmaker from Buffalo, New York that has produced for television, edited commercial work, and written, directed, and edited several features. My first run-in with Rob was on Twitter and I have been an avid reader of his blog Lovely Junkie since then. He is a real sharp, geniune guy and he loves what he does. That's the kind of people I like to surround myself with and when he says he likes a movie I know that I'm going to get something out of it. So with out further ado...

"I think it’s essential for creative people to surround themselves with positive and encouraging influences. I love the technology surrounding the process of filmmaking, the friends that I make along the way and the feeling of accomplishment when a project comes together.


It’s nearly impossible for me to pick my three FAVORITE films, but let’s give it a shot.

The Big Kahuna:

The DSLR craze has helped us all to become obsessed, and rightfully so, with depth of field, bit rate, color depth, and frame rates. The way that a film looks is important because it shapes the way we perceive the story. That said, probably once a year I throw the Big Kahuna into my DVD player, and it’s not because of how it looks. This film is by no means a technical achievement or in any way revolutionary, but it does showcase what is often forgotten in most films, dialogue.

The film is about 3 lubricant salesmen who are out of town on business. The director, John Swanbeck, chose to shoot the entire film in one location, which to me is ballsy! Imagine how limiting that must have been, he couldn’t hold the audiences attention by cutting away to another location. I think the Big Kahuna personifies what makes a good film, a good story, great writing, and wonderful acting. The Big Kahuna inspires me to want to become a better writer every time I watch it.


Kill Bill 1:

Tarantino is obvious known for the way he showcases violence in his films. But what I never hear him praised for is his cinematography. Violence aside, my favorite things about Kill Bill 1 were the cinematography and art direction. The whole film feels very conceived, that is to say, I feel like every shot in the movie was meticulously boarded and setup. A wonderful example of this is the tracking shot that begins the “House of Blue Leaves” scene. I’ve probably watched this shot over 50 times. It lifts and twists, catching little pieces of light and color in a inspiring and masterful way. So the shot isn't just a technical achievement, it also progresses the story by establishing the location and characters. I feel like I could teach a class using this shot as its inspiration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke6KUtcG9jY&feature=related

It’s also worth noting that I’m a huge fan of anime, so when Quentin chose to animate entire scenes of the film, it scored points with me :)


The Insider:

Take a moment to think of your favorite film, does it include Megan Fox bent over a motorcycle, or does it speak to who you are as a person? To me, drama’s are the most rewarding films to watch because they have the most potential to change a person’s mind or affect someone in an emotional way. I saw the Insider years ago and I can say quite certainly that it helped to shape me into the person that I am today. The film is about doing what is right even when everyone abandons you. So without being too preachy, I'll just say that I liked this message and the film." Rob Imbs


Check out Rob Imbs blog Lovely Junkie
Also follow him on Twitter: @lj_director

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a community effort to help further the ongoing education of professionals and hobbyists interested in shooting HD video with Canon's line of professional DSLR's. Namely the Canon 5D MarkII and the recently released Canon 7D. We will also feature work by users of these cameras to give them exposure and to create a place to be inspired by others. This is a friendly effort so if all you bring to the table is negativity kindly go somewhere else. For all suggestions for article topics or if you have an article or film you would like to have published here please send all info to jonjconnor@gmail.com or send me a tweet at @jonconnorfilms

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP