Please Support Canon Filmmakers By Clicking The Banner To Order Any Gear You Want From B&H

Stabilizing Your DSLR

5.23.2010

I apologizing for not posting in a while... It's been quite busy and, believe it or not, this is the calm before the storm :)

So I visited the site and noticed the new poll Jon posted, what do you stabilize your DSLR with? I'm glad to see the tripod rules but a little surprised by how few people are using sliders + glidecams/stedicams. Personally, tripod and monopod come first but I love using the glidecam and slider to enhance the story through motion.
What is it about these tools that keep so many from using them, is it cost, setup difficulties, or lack of understanding how to use it?
You may be wondering why so many questions... As our free time slowly starts to diminish, we'd like to post a few video tutorials/gear reviews on our favorite gear but what would you like to see first?
Glidecam vs. Sliders?

Here's a short promo we shot for a local beer distributor where we utilized a tripod, glidecam, and slider:




Thanks for your feedback!

6 comments:

Cecil May 23, 2010 at 12:29 PM  

For me it's the cost. I want/need so much other stuff that spending $400 to $500 on stabilization when I could get a nice lens for that price just pushes the Sliders and Glidecams further down the wish list.

I know I need one, I just need other stuff more, I guess.

I'd like to see the Glidecams first. And, cool promo video!

Roman M France May 23, 2010 at 12:41 PM  

Well as I mentioned to you on Twitter, Glidecams/Steadicams can be intimidating. They aren't the most approachable setups especially for rookies. It doesn't help to have a lot of people overstating the amount of training to operate this gear either. It can be off putting but tutorial videos and gear reviews will certainly help a lot of folks out there. Go for it guys!

RomanM

Edi Schneider May 24, 2010 at 6:27 PM  

I love the Kenyon KS-6 Gyro I bought in Jannuary. My buddy built a custom cage for the 7D and the Gyro goes under- or over it. Now he's working on something similar to the Easyrig, to support it's weight. That will make my Steadicam rust in peace ;-).

http://www.vimeo.com/10606900 At 1:07 you can have a glipse of it in action ...

cheers,
Edi Schneider from Romania.

Anonymous,  May 25, 2010 at 9:23 AM  

well i would say: Slider, plz ... has nothing to do with the fact that i (have to) buy one too as next item on may 550D gear-list, tough ;)

Ben Smithson May 25, 2010 at 5:40 PM  

I appreciate the work you guys put in to make this a super-quick, compressed edit.

Gavin May 26, 2010 at 1:45 PM  

I built a simple Drylin slider, which has been turning in beautiful results for under $200.00. A small electric motor drive would help, as it's challenging to make the motion as smooth as I'd like just pushing it along, but it's a great bit of gear for one-man shoots. I think that stabilization gear is every bit as important as lenses for great HD DSLR results.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a community effort to help further the ongoing education of professionals and hobbyists interested in shooting HD video with Canon's line of professional DSLR's. Namely the Canon 5D MarkII and the recently released Canon 7D. We will also feature work by users of these cameras to give them exposure and to create a place to be inspired by others. This is a friendly effort so if all you bring to the table is negativity kindly go somewhere else. For all suggestions for article topics or if you have an article or film you would like to have published here please send all info to jonjconnor@gmail.com or send me a tweet at @jonconnorfilms

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP