Please Support Canon Filmmakers By Clicking The Banner To Order Any Gear You Want From B&H

Allow me to introduce myself...

2.05.2010

Photo courtesy of Amy Reese Pruett

My name is Cristina and I'm a filmmaker. It's been 2 days since I made my last film... Everyday I wake up and think about films. Ok, no, seriously... this is not a self help meeting. I apologize.
Recently Jon and I decided it was about time I start contributing to the blog. Hope you don't mind.
For my first post, I'd like to talk about one of the most challenging shoots we've ever been a part of. We shot a promotional video for Shakedown Events at the Barbary in Philly. This was the darkest club we've ever shot in !!
We used our 5d + 7d and had to bump the ISO to 6400 at certain points. After we left the shoot, I was adamant about getting a 1.2 lens asap. Now that we sat down to edit it, we got to thinking... What would have happened if we had been contacted to do this shoot two years ago? Would we have really showed up at this bar with our XHA1's and video lights? Maybe... but I think it would've killed the vibe. In a situation like this, I think it's important to go unnoticed... Don't you?
Enjoy.


Shakedown from Cristina Valdivieso + Jon Connor on Vimeo.


Shot on the 5d + 7d
50 f/1.4 & 24-70 f/2.8
Glidetrack
Zacuto Z Finder
Zacuto Tactical Shooter
Interior Timelapses done with Nikon D300

9 comments:

Blake Noble February 5, 2010 at 10:08 PM  

Great video, and I do agree bringing in video lights to make sure you get a decent picture would of killed the vibe and even brought down the quality of the video. I am a filmmaker in Pittsburgh and with my 7D I am opened to so much more jobs because I don't need to carry around so much equipment.

Amy Reese-Pruett,  February 6, 2010 at 9:41 AM  

Super cool edit and great shots! Nice to see you on the blog! :)

Jose Ortiz February 6, 2010 at 10:14 AM  

Awesome! Well done I really enjoyed every shot.
U R right. You don't want using the video lights in this situation. It is amazing how this 50mm 1.4 lens works for the price of it.

Wild Orchid Studios February 6, 2010 at 12:51 PM  

It's about time C! But seriously great work as usual guys, even at 6400 ISO these cams blow away anything else out there, you guys did a great job of capturing the vibe of this place.

Sean Fitzroy February 6, 2010 at 5:19 PM  

Great use of the existing light.

Mandy,  February 6, 2010 at 6:59 PM  

Nice video. I am assuming this is the edit that gave you a headache! :)

jstunzi February 7, 2010 at 11:08 AM  

Love the visual effects. Timelapse was used effectively. Some of the timelapse of the setup is kinda dull in comparison to the rest of the vibe of the video. I'm unsure as to the purpose of this piece... but I'd even consider having some 30-70% sans-serif text show up at times offering descriptive adjectives to help describe the vibe so to speak.

Robin Schmidt February 7, 2010 at 12:05 PM  

Hi guys, really enjoying seeing how you're getting on with the Canon arsenal. Like you I jumped in with both feet and bought as much gear as I could afford to shoot on the 7D and I'm currently in the Bahamas for the 14 Islands Film Challenge having to shoot my film on the XHA1 and absolutely hating it. Of course I've got the 7d with me but unfortunately the rules stipulate I have to use the Canon from the other side of the fence. Been experimenting a lot with it, shooting underwater, on the Merlin, rigged on suction mounts to cars, timelapses etc. Like you say, the 7D just makes things possible.

Check it out if you're interested...

http://www.elskid.com/blog
http://14islandsfilmchallenge.bahamas.co.uk/

WillSalomon February 9, 2010 at 1:39 AM  

Very nice and considering the challenges, awesome even.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a community effort to help further the ongoing education of professionals and hobbyists interested in shooting HD video with Canon's line of professional DSLR's. Namely the Canon 5D MarkII and the recently released Canon 7D. We will also feature work by users of these cameras to give them exposure and to create a place to be inspired by others. This is a friendly effort so if all you bring to the table is negativity kindly go somewhere else. For all suggestions for article topics or if you have an article or film you would like to have published here please send all info to jonjconnor@gmail.com or send me a tweet at @jonconnorfilms

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP