Please Support Canon Filmmakers By Clicking The Banner To Order Any Gear You Want From B&H

Canon T2i Compared to Canon 7D: First Thoughts

2.26.2010

The body of the 7D is way better. More rugged build. When you hold the T2i (if you are used to the 7D it feels like a toy. This is a very stupid thing I guess but I prefer my 7D a lot in this way.
I still have to get used to the button configuration/controls which I found to be a bit harder to figure out where the 7D it just makes sense. A few interesting things I will explore further is that while in Movie Mode you can very easily switch between a variety of White Balance presets as well as a custom one you can set yourself. Another feature I do prefer in the T2i is the ability to switch the framerate you are shooting in without ever leaving Live View. There is a setting in the Menu as well for Automatic focus while in Movie Mode. I would never shoot in Auto and I am not sure if that actually works or I am a fool but found that interesting. I plan on shooting a bit tonight when we go out for dinner to see how it holds up in a real life situation. Here's another odd thing I noticed
The ISO for the T2i in Movie Mode
100
200
400
800
1600
3200
6400

There seems to be quite a few ISO settings missing that are available in the Canon 7D .
If you own a 7D I wouldn't feel bad about your purchase. I am certainly still very happy with mine. I absolutely love it and it definitely seems to have a much better build, as I would assume. Now for $800 I think it may be a great camera for someone who wants to get there feet wet in the DSLR video world. I plan on shooting more as I said and hope to have various videos up tomorrow. Two other things of note if you already own Canon DSLR's you will need new batteries and you will need new cards. The T2i  takes SDHC not CF cards.

1 comments:

Dylan March 5, 2010 at 4:08 AM  

I agree with yall, the build of the t2i doesn't feel so good. It just feels cheap to me.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a community effort to help further the ongoing education of professionals and hobbyists interested in shooting HD video with Canon's line of professional DSLR's. Namely the Canon 5D MarkII and the recently released Canon 7D. We will also feature work by users of these cameras to give them exposure and to create a place to be inspired by others. This is a friendly effort so if all you bring to the table is negativity kindly go somewhere else. For all suggestions for article topics or if you have an article or film you would like to have published here please send all info to jonjconnor@gmail.com or send me a tweet at @jonconnorfilms

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP