Please Support Canon Filmmakers By Clicking The Banner To Order Any Gear You Want From B&H

To 7D or Not to 7D That is The Question...

2.26.2010

Honestly I haven't had a chance to sit down and watch this video, but I had the good fortune of meeting JJ Kim, at InFocus in Austin, and he's a stand up guy. He did this because he's cool. Read below for my take on the 7D vs. T2i so far. I have only had the camera for a day and I am slightly biased, as I paid good hard earned money for my 7D, and it hasn't failed me but has never failed to impress me.

7D vs. T2i Comparison Video from Orange Wedding Films on Vimeo.
If you own a 7D should you dump it and grab a T2i and a lens.
In good conscience I could not advise that.
If you don't have enough for 7d + lens and cards,and batteries. Yes. You can always keep your lenses just don't buy crop lenses, get full frame lenses.
If you want a B-Roll camera and already own the 7D and can't afford another one. Yes. However you will have to buy all new batteries and cards,and a card reader that reads SDHC cards so calculate the difference between T2i and 7D. Then add new cards and batteries/reader to price of T2i.  If you already have a decent supply of cards/batteries stocked up for 7D and it will cover both cameras on most shoots. Get another 7D that camera is still a massive steal at $1600.
If your on the fence and can afford it or are close to affording it, get the Canon 7D or 5D. Depending on the body of work that you will do.
Advantages of T2i much crisper LCD. Cheaper.
Disadvantage
 Loss of a LOT of ISO's that I use. A LOT. You have to jump from 100 to 200 to 400 to 800 to 1600. You completely skip ISO 1250, which I use a lot in fairly dark rooms.
 If you have a 7D, and have to,then, get another one for B-Roll. If your strapped for cash,and want to shoot DSLR,well then jump in my friends, the water is warm.

Disclaimer: This camera just arrived. If anything bad happens a month from now contact Canon. I receive nothing from them. I'm not a fanboy. I'm a blue collar guy, trying to help if I can. If you have specific questions, let me know, I'll do my best to get back to you as fast as possible. Stay tuned! Footage is on it's way. Loads more reviewing to come before I make any definitive conclusions. This is just a real-time spewing of my impressions thus far. I just hope I can help people make educated decisions regarding camera purchases. I have learned a lot from people like David Perry, stillmotion, Philip Bloom and many others over the last year plus about giving out information and help just to do it. I have gotten a lot of positive feedback thus far. For that I thank you all. Oh yeah. Keep on rocking in the free world. We are lucky to be alive in the greatest Renaissance independent filmmaking has seen in a long, long,time. Never forget that.

12 comments:

Dustin February 26, 2010 at 10:20 PM  

Thanks for not only this post, but all that you do! Good insight and perspective. Excited for those that couldn't afford 7D that will be able to afford this one.
Cheers!

Unknown February 27, 2010 at 6:41 AM  

Thanks and excellent advice as always. I have a 5d and think I am going to, firstly, wait for the firmware update in March and then I have a feeling the next 5d Mark III won't be very far away. If I was a betting man by early next year! Here's hoping.

Will Gallego February 27, 2010 at 7:37 AM  

Excellent point about the hidden cost of the T2i. Never crossed my mind. Now I own the 5D, is the 7D battery compatible with my Mk2?

Also, just want to take a second to thank you for sharing so much information, incite and entertaining along the way. Your site is a valuable resource to any filmmaker.

Jon Connor February 27, 2010 at 12:36 PM  

Yes all 5d and 7d accessories work with each other i.e. battery cards. Lenses will work on both as long as they are full frame.

Lucas H,  February 27, 2010 at 2:33 PM  

This is great for me. I am a hobbyist who couldn't quite afford the 7d and all the accessories. Not only is the camera less expensive, but I have a bunch of SDHC cards lying around. So that works great for me. Can't wait until BH Photo has the body only in stock so I can order it through the BH link on this blog!

Unknown February 28, 2010 at 8:30 AM  

I have shot a few things with the Rebel and they all look fantastic. I shot a commercial for "Chew N' Brush" last night using 3200 ISO and it looks pretty darn good for that ISO. The stills are awesome. I had a 1D, 2-7D's and the Rebel on the job and I kept grabbing the rebel for some reason to pop off behind the scenes stuff and I was blown away.
Jared

Harold Eastman February 28, 2010 at 6:31 PM  

I picked up my T2i Friday, and have been loving it. Will use it on a paying gig this week.

My only issue: sensor overheating. In preliminary tests, I'm getting two 12-minute back-to-back clips in HD - and then the dreaded red thermometer. In most situations this isn't a problem, but I regularly shoot interviews of 35-40 minutes. I don't mind a brief interruption (to turn the camera off and on again), but I can't afford a 10-minute cool-down pause.

Anyone have any suggestions or strategies? Swap out cards between clips? Keep cards in a cooler? Keep the camera in the fridge? :-)

Thanks.

Unknown March 1, 2010 at 10:51 PM  

Yeah this is one hot camera. I would suggest some small ice packs with a paper towel standing by. Otherwise just let it burn up until the take is over. Then shut it down in-between. I have shot this way plenty with the 7D.
Jared

Unknown March 3, 2010 at 1:35 AM  

What are those rings attached to the cameras? what are they called?

Anonymous,  March 3, 2010 at 2:35 AM  

Hi guys, I have a HUGE question that has been driving me crazy. What are the Differences between the T2i And the Mark II?? Plz need Urgent help...Thanks

Anonymous,  March 29, 2010 at 9:16 AM  

The differences between the T2i and Mk2 are pretty big... I mean, the T2i costs 800-ish and the Mk2 runs 2500-ish!

Tony Obfenda April 26, 2010 at 12:23 AM  

Hey there! I have an audio question. Knowing that the audio on the Canon's are not so hot, what do you use to record the audio if you were using the cameras to shoot a wedding???

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a community effort to help further the ongoing education of professionals and hobbyists interested in shooting HD video with Canon's line of professional DSLR's. Namely the Canon 5D MarkII and the recently released Canon 7D. We will also feature work by users of these cameras to give them exposure and to create a place to be inspired by others. This is a friendly effort so if all you bring to the table is negativity kindly go somewhere else. For all suggestions for article topics or if you have an article or film you would like to have published here please send all info to jonjconnor@gmail.com or send me a tweet at @jonconnorfilms

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP