Please Support Canon Filmmakers By Clicking The Banner To Order Any Gear You Want From B&H

The Heirloom-Northernlight Filmworks

12.06.2009





by John Moon (Northernlight Filmworks)

Many of us can look around our studios and think of our favorite tools or cameras to use to tell a story.  As I look around our studio, we have different cameras that we use to achieve our vision.  We shoot with all Canon cameras.  At Northernlight Filmworks, we shoot with Canon XH-A1’s for HD video and we shoot Super 8 Film with Canon 814 and 16mm film on a Canon Scoopic M Camera.  All of these cameras have specific roles to play and are our go to cameras in certain situations.  Earlier this year we added the Canon 5D Mark II.   We have also incorporated the Canon 7D in many of our shoots.


I have some background in photography and ever since I was young, I enjoyed taking photos.  I remember our family vacations and taking photos with Dad’s Polaroid and with his 35mm camera.  My first 35mm camera was a Canon AE-1.  When I look back at all the photos we have they bring back many memories.  I’m a sentimental person, so anything that takes me back to a period or preserves a memory, hits close to my heart. 

The Canon 5D Mark II has been an incredible camera for us to use and has opened up our creativity.   I like this camera because it is full frame and a huge sensor.  This camera has caused me to think about the shot and to be somewhat selective when composing the shot.  I have always thought about how I want to shoot something before this camera but now you have to be cognizant of the best lens for the situation, the f-stop, shutter speed and ISO.  If you are going to use a prime lens, what are its limitations? What is the lighting and how will you use it?  Will your subject be moving are fairly static?  There are number of things that you process to achieve an optimal composition.   

We recently used the 5D on a family shoot with Carpenter Photography and Design, to explore using this camera as a documentary tool with those types of sessions.  All of us can look back at old photographs but you can only rely upon your memory to recollect how people moved, what they said, mannerisms, etc.  We approached this shoot as a documentary and “in the moment” type of shoot.  With children, this often works best.  The Heirloom is meant to be a reflection of family and can expand to simple interviews with the parents, children, grandparents, etc.    The concept was to create something that 20 yrs from now, would remain relatively timeless and be an accurate depiction of what the family may have remembered about that day.  The Canon 5D and 7D from a filmmaking standpoint, allows you even greater access to the subject.   I’m not sure why that is but my theory is that the still camera has been romantisized for so long and people understand it better and therefore have a greater comfort level with it.   We shot this Heirloom session using the 5D and the lenses were 70-200 2.8 IS and an 85 1.2.  I love both of these lenses.   The prime was a little more challenging because the children were being children and they were all over and wanting to explore.  I love how they just went and did their thing because this was them and this is what they do.  The 70-200 gave me more flexibility.   I shot this particular film without the Zacuto Z-Finder but have since purchased the Z-Finder.  The Z-Finder, in my opinion, is an absolute must.   Shooting in video mode, you loose auto focus but before the 5D I primarily shot manual focus anyway.  But shooting in HD and with this camera, anything that is just a little out of focus, you are going to see it.  For me, the Z-Finder does 2 things: (1) More accurate critical focus and (2) Stability.  You pull focus much quicker and more accurately because the Z-Finder allows you to really see the edges and blocks out sunlight that might interfere.  Greater stability is achieved because when you press the eyecup against your eye, your body then becomes the stabilizer.   I tend to do a lot of breath holding.  I think that comes from my experience in shooting rifles.

I think the key to any type of documentary style shooting is to be able to anticipate movements and how those movements might connect to another.  I’m always trying to think what the subject is going to do next and then anticipate their interaction with someone or something.

What I enjoy about the Heirloom piece is how authentic it is.  It portrays a sense of warmth and in this brief moment you get a glimpse of this family’s personality. 


We transcoded the footage from 30p to 24p and edited with Final Cut Pro.   Although the footage that comes straight out of the camera is very good, I color grade every clip using Magic Bullet.  I don’t do heavy grading but primarily work the curves to get the blacks the way I want them.

Become a fan of Northernlight Filmworks on facebook here
 http://www.facebook.com/pages/Noblesville-IN/Northernlight-Filmworks/42551964984 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a community effort to help further the ongoing education of professionals and hobbyists interested in shooting HD video with Canon's line of professional DSLR's. Namely the Canon 5D MarkII and the recently released Canon 7D. We will also feature work by users of these cameras to give them exposure and to create a place to be inspired by others. This is a friendly effort so if all you bring to the table is negativity kindly go somewhere else. For all suggestions for article topics or if you have an article or film you would like to have published here please send all info to jonjconnor@gmail.com or send me a tweet at @jonconnorfilms

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP