Please Support Canon Filmmakers By Clicking The Banner To Order Any Gear You Want From B&H

Reel Inspiration: Take 3 with Sara Collaton

12.08.2009

Buying the Canon 7D has given me a new passion and appreciation for photography and I am also a firm believer that inspiration knows no bounds. So I am thrilled that our next set of picks come from rock star photographer, literally and figuratively, Sara Collaton. She's photographed the likes of ( brace yourselves for my shameless name dropping ) Weezer, Ben Folds, the Cranberries, Moby and countless others. Now tell me that isn't a sweet job!! So, what movies does a rock star photographer watch on her day off you may ask. Without further ado here's the picks from Sara Collaton:







"My films seem to follow a theme.  As a photographer, I am continuously inspired by all of the arts, mainly music.  Whether I have lyrics to a song in mind while composing a shot, or pulling a title from a song that represents my feelings while looking at an image, music and images go hand in hand for me.  I guess it's part of the reason why I'm currently working as a concert photographer.  So here are my picks for some of my favourite films in the past 10 years that also have an amazing soundtrack."



The Fountain (2006) Directed by Darren Aronofsky, Score by Clint Mansell (Performed by Kronos Quartet & Mogwai)
"After "Pi" and "Requiem for a Dream" I knew I would be rushing to the theatres for whatever Darren had in store next.  "The Fountain" was announced.  Sadly, I had to wait six years to see it.  Sometimes having an actor walk away from a project (Brad Pitt), production coming to a halt, only to start up again with an incredibly small fraction of the original budget can be a blessing in disguise.  Six years of waiting was worth it.  Choosing to move away from CGI (for the most part) and rely on classic chemical reactions for scenes that take place in space, Darren creates these wonderful images in white, black and golds.  Incredible performances from both Rachel Weiz and Hugh Jackman as well as Clint creating my favourite score of all time, make this a film not worth watching, but experiencing."

Le Scaphandre et le Papillon (The Diving Bell and the Butterfly) (2007) Directed by Julian Schnabel, Theme by Paul Cantelon
"It's pretty amazing, when a director can actually make you feel what the character is going through.  Based on the true story of Jean-Dominique Bauby, who after suffering a stroke, wakes up in a hospital to realize he is trapped.  Although his mind is perfectly fit and healthy, he awakens to a condition known as locked-in syndrome.
You can't help but feel trapped yourself when watching this opening scene. Blurred images and muffled voices, the viewer is witnessing the scene from Jean-Domnique's point of view.  Perhaps it's because I have spent the last 3 years watching my uncle suffer from a similar condition (ALS, or Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) but I find Julian's filming technique incredibly powerful.  Paul Cantelon's theme for the film is a beautiful and delicate piano piece in the mix of a soundtrack with artists such as Tom Waits, U2 and the Velvet Underground."

Mulholland Drive (2001) Directed by David Lynch, Score by Angelo Badalamenti
"A Director that often leaves you with more questions than answers, David Lynch is my tied for my favourite director, Stanley Kubrick being the other.  I find David absolutely fascinating as a true artist that is not afraid to take (many) risks and often starts his films without a finished script, but instead, works on feelings and cueing actors with single words instead of actual direction.  As much as David Lynch is the visual element to his films, they would not be complete without Angelo's contributions to some hauntingly beautiful pieces.
Probably proving to others and myself by this point - I am not a writer. I wouldn’t even know how to begin to review or describe a Lynch film in full sentences.  Instead, like he does with actors, I'll leave you with words that come to mind when thinking about his films: dark, mysterious, surreal, beautiful, film-noir, woman-in-trouble, warm, voyeuristic, desire, nightmare."   

Now put down "I Love You, Beth Cooper" (why did that even come out on DVD) you have some serious film watching to do.
To see some of Sara’s amazing work vist www.saracollaton.com 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is a community effort to help further the ongoing education of professionals and hobbyists interested in shooting HD video with Canon's line of professional DSLR's. Namely the Canon 5D MarkII and the recently released Canon 7D. We will also feature work by users of these cameras to give them exposure and to create a place to be inspired by others. This is a friendly effort so if all you bring to the table is negativity kindly go somewhere else. For all suggestions for article topics or if you have an article or film you would like to have published here please send all info to jonjconnor@gmail.com or send me a tweet at @jonconnorfilms

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP